Monday, November 12, 2012

Weekend fun: sensory squishy bag

A few weeks ago I made a squishy bag for Sophie to play with.  I found the original idea at Play At Home Mom here back in the summer and then adapted it slightly when I found the post by Adaptions4kidz here.  These two blogs are a couple of my favourites for finding inspiration for fun things to make for Sophie.

I loved the idea of putting the foam stickers on the outside of the bag so that Sophie would have something tactile to touch other than feeling the gel in the bag itself.  I had the ocean stickers already so it was a perfect theme.



Sorry the pics are sideways, blogger is being a pain



 I also made a Halloween version.  I had some foam pumpkins and spiders, I found a big googly eye and some pompoms, threw in some glitter and voila, a Halloween squishy bag.  We had played with both of these a number of times but it wasn't until I put them on the light table that Sophie really got interested in them.  It just made everything in the bags jump out and she was very curious about them.



Sophie was a bit of a monkey though at the end and thought it was hilarious to throw the bags off her tray and make me pick them up over and over.

Going,                                                                                              going,



wait for it......gone!                                                                               Now laugh at mommy!

I am so glad that she loved these on the light table, it was a reminder that I need to try more activities with it, I think it helps her CVI alot and helps her focus her attention so much better.

This weekend we also played with the light box with gel clings, used the ipad and did some of her switch work on the computer.

Her favourite app, Awesome Xylophone


She worked very hard with switch scanning and is getting close to mastering the proximity switch embedded in her tray.  Still some work to go with the head switch but that will come.  They aren't using the head switch at school just yet so she doesn't get as much practice with it.


Being a monkey again trying to get the wires :)

Sophie had been quite sick last week with pneumonia and a double ear infection so it is nice that she is happy again and having fun playing.  Hopefully we will be able to put the antibiotics and prednisone behind us for a good long while now that December and all that comes with it are not too far away.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Sophie is feeling better and over her infections. It looks like she is making great progress and having lots of fun with the switches and light play!

    ReplyDelete